Followers

Tuesday 24 April 2018

Mayukh's Proposal - Short Story 1

10th December
Outside Prasad IMAX Theatre
Morning 11:00 AM

Loud horns of vehicles, screams of kids, songs from FM, nothing is reaching the ear of Mayukh. He could only hear his heart beat which is running faster than Japan’s bullet train. Reason for this over speed driving is his decision - PROPOSE to his girl Akshara today.

Mayukh had an unsuccessful love story in college, so he wants to be more cautious now. Akshara is a strong independent girl who expresses everything and anything boldly. Met through common friends, both have been hanging out for 6 months. Mayukh is confident that Akshara likes him, but not sure if it is to the extent of having a relationship?

It’s his BIG day today. His mind is running with weird thoughts and wild questions. What will be her reaction? Yes, No, Sorry, Shut Up, Idiot, I though u were my Brother, etc? If yes, then Sky is the limit? If she wants time, still it’s a positive? What if No? How to convince her? Will she keep to herself or tell all common friends? Would it be embarrassing for him? And so on.....

Akshara has arrived in a cool denim blue jeans and new red top. Though she was looking stunning in it, Mayukh's mind is revolving around the colour of her top RED – Is it a symbol for violent reaction, Is it symbol to stop - don’t proceed ahead, Is it a hint for him to think before saying? Etc., He hid all his feelings inside, zipped it and uncovered his usual joyful self he used to be. He wants to create everything is normal. Everyone has an artist inside, but to perform naturally in crucial stage is what saves you.

They enjoyed a movie, had lunch at restaurant, went for a ride to necklace road. Time is moving, but Mayukh is waiting for the right moment to initiate the conversation. He saw Lord Buddha’s statue in the middle of Hussain Sagar and thought he could be his saviour. He needs to negate the red top with peace and who else can be better option than Lord Buddha. Took a boat ride to the statue, had some pics and sat together. Cool breeze in the evening, surrounded by water, perfect weather and timing. Prayed to all the Gods whom he saw or heard ever in his lifetime, collected all his courage together and started the conversation:-

M – Tell me one thing, how come you still don’t have a boy friend. You are good looking, clever, fun-loving, but still Single, Why?
A – Is it mandatory to have a boy friend to have fun in life?
M – I didn’t mean that. I’m saying, with such a combo, guys would have been falling behind you, so didn’t you find anyone suitable
A – Nothing like that! I didn’t think in those lines. I think when time comes everything falls in place. I’m happy the way I’m now, why complicate things?
M -  But I’ve made up my mind! I strongly feel it’s time for me to have a serious relationship.
A – Oh Wow! This is news!  So, who is that lucky Girl!
(This was the answer Mayukh has been waiting for, this has set platform for smooth execution. This is like a No ball in T20, which allows for a Free hit)
M – How could you say “Lucky”. I’m nothing special or ideal. I’ve my pros and cons, lose my temper now and then, doesn’t come from a rich family or the smartest in the lot?
A – Oh Come on! All those are secondary. Everyone has their pros and cons. Looks, financial status doesn’t assure a strong and true relationship. It depends on the individual’s dedication and love towards the other person. As far as i have seen, you are very affectionate and caring! Has good sense of humour, understands other person’s feelings, and never hurts anyone. You could be a good partner for sure.
(Now the free hit ball has been over-pitched and is ideal to be hit for a 6 without a doubt)
M – Thanks for your kind words! What I feel is, I’m just like any other guy. I’m not unique or special. I shout when I feel angry, I would be silent when I feel sad, I laugh loudly when i have fun.
But, Yes, when I love someone, I make sure won’t hurt her feelings, take utmost care of her, respect her ideologies and freedom, give her space and have my own, spend hours of time for her shopping, have small quarrels and say sorry, won’t lose a relationship because of ego. Most importantly, won’t break her trust.
(Now this is the moment)
Don’t take me wrong or think I am taking advantage, if you are interested, if you are comfortable, if you really like, I would like to make you that “LUCKY” girl. (And that’s a Six)
You are the most beautiful soul I ever met. You won’t bluff, you don’t have any filters. You express yourself freely. You are strong and independent girl. I can be myself with you, need not customise to your interests, because we almost have common preferences. In fact, I would be the “LUCKY” one, if partnered with you.

(Silence all around. Mayukh has delivered the best speech of his career. Akshara is a bit perplexed)

Mayukh continues – Don’t worry, you need not respond immediately. You can take your time. I’m ok even if it is NO. I just wanted to express my feelings openly, Cannot hide it forever and then feel bad for not expressing. You have been a very good friend and shall remain same.

(Akshara is still in freeze mode. Neither angry nor normal. To ease out things, Mayukh slowly brings the conversation to normal)

M - You look fabulous today. Firstly i was worried looking at the Red top. Symbol of violence or Stop. Should i express or not. Later I thought, it could also mean a Red Rose, which we use for expressing love. So, went ahead.
A – So shall we leave, its getting late. Mom has started calling already!
M – Ok Sure. Hey, one more thing! If at all you accept the proposal, we get into a relationship, I know I am thinking long ahead, but still, if anyone asks, what did he gift to propose and you  shouldn’t be answering “Nothing”. To avoid that, please have this.
(He gifted her a Titan Raaga watch of the design she chose while doing window shopping a week back along with him)

Though Akshara refused to take, Mayukh kept it in her hand and moved on.

Mayukh’s last line after saying Bye – I would be Waiting!

At night, 9:30 PM, message from Akshara ”Why Yee Yes”

8 comments:

  1. Good one Chandu.. I normally giveup reading in the few lines on any story I had read so far.. but yours somehow I got interest to read till end .. while reading I could visualize the situations in the story .. I think you might have put lot of mind while writting it to cut it as short as you can .. really appreciate it.. finally in the end I didn't understand if lady said yes or no

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback. Since its my 1st attempt, took utmost care that it shouldn't be too boring and should grab attention of reader. Tried to squeeze as much as possible, to make it look like a short story.
      Lady's answer was YES (Y - WHY, E - YEE, S - YES). Kept it intentionally.

      Delete
  2. Disclaimer
    The events, characters depicted in the story are ficticious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Ha ha Ha Ha...........

      Delete
    2. Fictional aa...bavagaru-mayukth nuv- akshara anukuntunna Akka..

      Delete
    3. Anta ledamma, oohalni akade apeddam

      Delete
  3. Loved the short sweet story!! Keep writing more :)

    ReplyDelete